There are so many health books and Doctors and people with advise on eating these days that it is very difficult to know if you are doing the right thing.
Dr. James Lee of Austin Chiropractic, located in South Austin has helped many people with food issues. The biggest problem he has found has been when people believe that they are eating healthy and in fact they are not. They even look unhealthy and many of them are unhealthy.
Dr. James Lee has created a list of the Top 7 problems people have with eating healthy.
- Eating a certain way or having a diet and believing that this is the best way for you and everyone else to live. There are so many diets and ways to eat. There is the raw food diet, macrobiotic, vegan, palio, Atkins, no-sugar, liquid and on and on. In reality, the best method is to try each one out and see how you feel.
- Understanding that SUGAR is everywhere and in every food. It is even in bread and salad dressings. People need to start their research on the sugar contents of all foods.
- Thinking that FAT is bad for you. Again, do the research, you will find out that Monounsaturated fats are not only great for your health but essential. These are the avocados, almonds and oils. When the USA shifted to a “low Fat or No Fat” diet they replaced the fats with sugars, which are worse for your body and health.
- Thinking that “Gluten Free” is always better for you. Eating food with no gluten is in fact better but not the “Gluten” Free foods. These are actually terrible for you. They are filled with tons of sugars and refined carbohydrates.
- Eating anything that has a label on it saying “Health Food”. These are also filled with lots of additional sugar and soy products. Most soy is GMO. (This I will discuss in a future post)
- Don’t count your calories. Especially when you are on the walking machines that indicate after 1 hour of walking and running, that you just burned 250 calories. Not all calories are the same. The calories in a carrot are completely different than the calories in potato chips.
- Thinking that you can stop eating junk foods and pizza and all the things that tastes great. The fact is, the best way is to eat is to just eat less of the bad foods and more and more of the good foods. This way, sooner than later, the good foods will not only be in a higher percentage in your diet, but they will subconsciously teach your body how bad the bad foods really are. So eat away, just eat healthier foods.
In conclusion, Dr. James Lee from Austin Chiropractic strongly recommends that you do your research and read up on the current studies that are all talking about sugar, healthy oils, carbs and grains, including gluten. This information will save your life.