Herniated Discs and how Chiropractic adjustments by Dr. James Lee in Austin Texas will help
Back pain can be a sign of a herniated disc. This pain can happen very suddenly and catch you off guard. The soft discs are made of a jellylike substance that sits in between the 24 vertebrae in your back. These vertebrae allow you to move around and be flexible. When a disc become herniated the pain can radiate towards your hips and thighs and even as low as your calves. This pain can be exaggerated with heavy lifting and even a cough or sneeze.
How does a herniated disc occur?
There is a fibrous outer portion of the disc and when it ruptures the jellylike substance from the inside comes out. This usually applies a pressure on the local nerves and therefore pain. These symptoms are tingling, weakness, pain, numbness and radiating pain. Usually the herniated disc begins with a bulging disc. In Dr. James Lee’s Chiropractic office in Austin Texas, there is a series of exams to determine the status and level of disc herniation.
The disc can be herniated at any level in the spine. The cervical, thoracic or lumbar spine. The most common location is in the L4/L5 disc. This disc is the last disc in the spine and absorbs the majority of the weight of the body. A lumbar herniated disc may cause the following symptoms:
- Intermittent and/or continuous back pain.
- Pain by movement, sneezing, coughing and being on your feet for long periods of time.
- Muscle spasm of the low and middle back.
- Sciatica pain that could travel down the legs and calf.
- Muscle weakness and numbness in the legs and/or foot.
- Lowered reflex responses at the knees.
- Problems and pain while walking.
- Incoordination and bladder disfunction.
What are the tests and exams for a herniated disc?
In Dr. James Lee’s Chiropractic office in Austin Texas, he will recommend one of the following exams:
Treatments for a herniated disc:
In Dr. James Lee’s Chiropractic office in Austin Texas, the best treatment is a series of Chiropractic adjustments over the course of several months. Along with ice therapy and some light physical therapy. Dr. Lee will also recommend Spinal Decompression, nutritional changes to reduce the body’s weight on the disc and stretching.
When you are out of alignment, when your body is experiencing a restrictive range of motion, when you are having pain and tightness and an overall sluggish feeling, chances are that you are out of alignment. A chiropractic adjustment will address this “out of alignment” and make you feel better. Our bodies know what to do, they know that they need to be straight and have proper posture. So, a Chiropractic adjustment will align your spine and relax your body and create a new muscle memory pattern for change. So after several adjustments by Dr. James Lee at Austin Chiropractic, your body will begin to remember the proper posture and begin to help you keep it in its corrected form.
- Dr. James Lee of Austin Network Chiropractic recommends that people come 2 times a week for a few weeks, then one time a week until they feel better. Then Dr. Lee would recommend a maintenance plan over the course of several months.
- Dr. James Lee understands that there are many chiropractors in Austin, Texas and that people have a lot of options. However, when you are selecting a Chiropractor in Austin Texas pleas consider our services.